Photo by KennardP
If you have never used coconut oil for your skin or hair you are really missing out. Coconut oil is very nourishing to the skin and can be used for many things. It helps make skin look better, works great for first-aid, and can even offer some sun protection. It is amazing all of the different things you can do with coconut oil. I find new uses for it all the time.
Coconut Oil for Beauty
When coconut oil is applied to the skin it gives skin a smoother appearance and it helps to lock in moisture because of its high saturated fat content. Coconut also contains natural vitamin E which is well known as a vitamin that is healthy for the skin. It is essential for a healthy skin growth, repair of the skin and provides protection against cracking. One of its most impressive benefits is that prevents ageing and wrinkling of skin because of its anti-oxidant properties.
Coconut oil can be used on your whole body and there are some luxiurious homemade lotions or body butters that can be made with it. This post from Revitalise Your Health has a list of 25 amazing recipes to try: 25 Magical Things you can Do with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil also has some special anti-microbial properties which makes it a great oil to use on skin rashes or irritations. The homemade ointments and salves that I use (recipe can be found in my eBook) contain coconut oil because it gives a little added protection against microbial infections. Coconut oil salves work well on minor cuts and scrapes for fast healing. Another helpful use of coconut oil is for diaper rash. It helps to sooth and heal diaper rashes on little ones.
There is a lot of talk about the safety of sunscreen because of all of the ingredients that are in them. I personally avoid using it at all but if we are going to be in full sun all day I only use natural brands. Coconut oil, surprisingly, is another option. It offers a low SPF of protection so that is something to keep in mind. This is an interesting post on Hybrid Rasta Mommy on using Natural Oils as Sun Protection.
My Favorite Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Skin
- Moisturizer for Face – Wellness Mama recommends this as well in this post.
- Moisturizer for the body
- Mixed with Shea Butter as a Body Butter (like the Body Butter in my Shop)
- Works well to moisturize cuticles
- Use in homemade lip balms, ointments, and salves (Creative Christian Mama has a recipe and also more recipes in my eBook)
- Works well as a massage oil (many massage therapists use it!)
- De-frizz hair with a little coconut oil
- Helps with diaper rash
- Works as a low SPF suncreen
- Use as a bath oil instead of Baby Oil (read my post on Why You Should Never Use Baby Oil)
- Is great as a replacement to shaving cream – This is also mentioned in a post on Mexican Wildflower
What new use for coconut oil will you try?