French lentils are delicious. They are more delicate then green lentils but more firm then red. They have a very nice flavor and texture. This is a super quick and easy soup to make if you have only a small amount of time to put it together. It takes less them 15 minutes to put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and the soup turns out great. This recipe is one of my staples. It’s a great filling soup to have for a nice vegetarian meal.
Slow Cooker French Lentil & Brown Rice Soup
- 6 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 ½ cup of organic French lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium organic carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 organic onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of organic celery, diced
- 5 tablespoons of uncooked organic brown rice
- 1 strip of Kombu seaweed
- 2 cloves of organic garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of herbs de Provence or 1 teaspoon of thyme
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
Stir together broth, lentils, carrots, onion, celery, rice, kombu, garlic, herbs, and salt in the crock pot slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 5 hours.
Do you make lentil soup in the slow cooker?