If you follow a grain-free, gluten-free, or GAPS diet then I am sure you familiar with almond flour baking. Almond flour is one of my favorite flours to use in baking because it tastes great and it is a very healthy alternative to using common baking flours. The above photo is a great recipe it is the recipe for Snickerdoodles in Elana Amsterdam's The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbookwhich I highly recommend. Next time I am going to make a double batch because these weren't around for very long! I also just recently made the savory pie crust in this book and used it for a spinach and mushroom quiche that was awesome. Elana's blog also has a lot of other recipes that look great too.
Why is Almond Flour Better then Wheat flour or other Grain Flours?
- Almond flour is very low on the glycemic index and it is very high in protein, which is great for diabetics and everyone else as well. When you eat a baked good made with almond flour instead of white flour you are getting a high protein snack instead of a sugar high.
- Almonds are high in magnesium and potassium which are essential for optimum health.
- Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats as are found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease.
- Almonds are a great source of the anti-oxidant vitamin E.
- There are a number of health benefits that almonds may provide such as clear skin, better digestion, cancer prevention, and lowering LDL cholesterol.
There are little health benefits to using wheat flours and many people have digestive problems caused by it but they are not aware of it. It may take a little getting used to eating baked goods that do not contain wheat flour because that is what everyone is used to eating. Once you try a few recipes with almond flour you will see how tasty it can be to use. The health benefits make this absolutely worth a try.
There are a few almond flour brands available. Although it may be the most accessible, Bob's Red Mill is not my first choice. A brand that Elana recommends is Honeyville, I also like Benefit Your Life.